2005-11-19

U.S. national mottos: History and constitutionality

With respect to the whole "In God We Trust" on all U.S. money:
U.S. national mottos: History and constitutionality: "Decades later, Theodore Roosevelt disapproved of the motto. In a letter to William Boldly on 1907-NOV-11, he wrote: 'My own feeling in the matter is due to my very firm conviction that to put such a motto on coins, or to use it in any kindred manner, not only does no good but does positive harm, and is in effect irreverence, which comes dangerously close to sacrilege...It is a motto which it is indeed well to have inscribed on our great national monuments, in our temples of justice, in our legislative halls, and in building such as those at West Point and Annapolis -- in short, wherever it will tend to arouse and inspire a lofty emotion in those who look thereon. But it seems to me eminently unwise to cheapen such a motto by use on coins, just as it would be to cheapen it by use on postage stamps, or in advertisements.'"

Sounds to me like a pretty level-headed approach. But with the things that are so ingrained, people think it is an affront to religion and their belief in God to suggest that the phrase does not belong on money. This argument isn't even from the very good separation of church and state argument. Although it doesn't specifically embrace or promote a particular religion, it does promote a belief and blurs the line between secular government and religion/god.

Okay - so what's wrong with professing what the overwhelming majority of people in the U.S. believe on our coinage anyway? So what if a few aclu types or atheists object? Well, it just isn't appropriate and I think Roosevelt has a good point. The government shouldn't speak for me about whether I believe in god or not. I am an American. What I believe is my business and if you want to cover all the basis and represent what I believe - then why isn't my motto on the coins and paper money? (E Pluribus Unum was good.)

No comments: