2008-04-09

Observations - Real Simple

Under the category of oxy-morons, how many of you have seen the magazine Real Simple? Real Simple is anything but. The magazine is HUGE. A recent issue (I peruse the magazine leftovers in the bathroom at work) had 288 pages. Many books don't have that many pages. Not only that - it was about 12 pages into the darn thing before I could find the table of contents. From what I can tell, it is about 80% advertisement and 20% content - supposedly helpful tips to make your life simpler. If you could only find the tips while wading through all the ads.

Here is simple: Reason magazine. Simple in design, about 70 pages and sparse advertising. Put Real Simple in a format like that and perhaps a few more people would be able to actually find what is supposedly simple in it. I guess I just don't get it. Then again, I don't get most magazine's appeal to the general public.

REAL SIMPLE ISSN: 1528-1701 - published by Time, Inc.
www.realsimple.com

No comments: