2005-12-09

Evolutionblog

On a discussion of a new college student coming from a religious upbringing and school with no exposure to the theory of evolution, this discussion is spot on:
Read the entire entry: 12/08/05 "Have They Tried Open-Mindedness?"
Evolutionblog:

"They have to understand that it is not the professor's job to coddle them when they claim to believe things that are patently untrue.

That last sentence sure is creepy. Learning things that challenge your preconceived notions is, for many people, something to be endured, not something to benefit from. I can't imagine what it's like to be that confident that, as a teenager, you have successfully resolved the fundamental mysteries of existence. I don't care if Mr. Scott learns to accept evolution. But I do hope he will learn to be a bit more open-minded, and a bit more willing to accept that things he heard in high school should be the beginning, not the end, of his education."


Not to say that ultimately deciding that your belief is the right one is wrong, but I just don't understand people who just buy the Christian story lock stock and barrel. I don't understand people who don't want to explore, not only in college, but later into life - and to keep exploring.

Although it is a tendancy to get set in your ways as you grow older (and sometimes at a very young age, if you are predisposed to that), I hope I never just settle into one belief. Although I am an Atheist, I have my doubts and don't think I know anything (hence the name of the blog) about this crazy concept of god. I will acknowledge my doubts, but I am fairly certain that the Christian god and story is NOT an accurate one. Revealed religion doesn't cut it for me. A natural god I might buy, but a packaged one written about by unknown authors and decided upon by a group of MEN over a thousand years ago - no thank you.

No comments: